Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Stay-cation In New Hampshire

I grew up in this wonderful state and while there will always be the dregs in the city, there are some beautiful place to visit. So weather you are from here or just stopping by we have lots to see and do.

Hiking is one of my favorite summer activities and with mountains and lakes, literally, everywhere your options aren't limited so here are a few.

Madam Sherries Castle: 

I personally have not yet been but I have been dying to go and I have heard wonderful things. The castle is no longer standing but some of the remains are intact, such as the grand staircase. Madame Sherri was known for her crazy shin digs and over the top parties. Until, of course, her money ran out. When she moved on the house was left to disrepair and left behind the haunting ghost of this once beautiful castle.
Directions to the Castle , Chesterfield, NH

Polar Caves: 

This one is an old memory for me. I haven't been in years but I intend to take my daughter up there as a sort of tradition. This is a wonderful example of how this region was built. There are wooden bridges traversing the gorges and caves to explore and huge glacial structures to explore. This is great if you have younger kids. (Strollers tend to get jammed so walking toddlers are probably more apt to enjoy this.) It's $11.50 for kids under 10 years old and $16.50 11 and up. Plan to spend the afternoon.

Clark's Trading Post:


I love this place, there are a few of these trading posts scattered across the state but Clark's is by far my favorite. There is food, rides, games. They have the crooked room, the haunted theater and of course.... Bears on bikes, Yup, you read that right. They have trained bears riding bikes and performing tricks and some really cool stuff. They also have lots of other shows and activities. I would plan on spending most of your day here since there is so much to see but I promise, your kids will sleep on the way home.
Schedules and prices are subject to change due to weather, the bears health etc. So be sure to check out the website before you head up there.












Kancamangus Highway:

To some, this is just a pretty road through the woods but to natives this is a little slice of NH gold. New England is pretty famous for leaf peeping in the fall and this highway is one of the most beautiful. With over looks and scenic rest areas there are no shortage of photo ops and breathtaking views. The Kancamangus highway is popular for bikers as the windy wooded roads wind up and down the mountains. No matter how many times you drive it you always see something new. All along the way are secluded swimming holes and hiking trails. Picnic spots and campgrounds. You may even get lucky and see a moose or two. If you have time and gas I highly recommend spending a day with a basket of cold fried chicken, pasta salad and a camera with a full battery.

Located on RT. 112 in New Hampshire

These are some of the standard touristy places that are fun for the whole family. If your looking for a more adult time you can always hit up one of the many white water rafting establishments.
Three Rivers Whitewater was amazing and not too pricey. They also offer skydiving classes that I am dying to take.
If you want to take the kids out and keep them busy on a rainy day you can pack them up and head over to Krazy Kids in Concord. It's a little hectic especially around school vacations and when they host birthdays but the kids love it and there is so much to keep them busy. (If you choose to do a birthday there they will handle food, entertainment, games, cake, everything. Last time I brought my daughter they had Anna and Elsa. If you don't know who they are I envy you.)

If you have any other fun things to do this summer, post them in the comments and I will update the list as I go. Good luck and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment